Thursday, April 19, 2012

Back from vacation...

Hello friends!!! Long time, no chat. I have officially been back from vacation since Monday evening but have been swamped with work and household chores that I haven't had time for my little ol' blog. I am making time today to enlighten you all on how my vacation went. Basically, it was fantastic! More than fantastic actually. I was able to see more family in just over a week than I have seen in years. I was able to squeeze in time with a few good friends as well, which was way overdue. I will forewarn you now, this post contains tons of pictures!

We hit the road right after work the Friday before Easter, grabbed a bite to eat and drove. A VERY LONG DRIVE. We had decided to play it by ear and were debating on getting a hotel room around midnight, but changed our minds and drove straight through. Yes, we're a tad crazy. Just in case you were wondering. J and I switched off driving every few hours while the kiddos snoozed through the night. Problem is I don't sleep in cars. It's so uncomfortable. Needless to say we only got a few hours of sleep total but it was worth it. We arrived in Temecula, CA around 7:30am that Saturday after being on the road for almost 15 hours. Of course we needed naps but for the most part we were good to go. We stayed with my brother-in-law and his family for about 4 1/2 days, celebrated Easter there, and visited my sister-in-law as well.

We spent part of day playing at the beach with some AMAZING weather! Oh how I miss my days in San Diego.
Hanging at the Oceanside Pier
M with our new niece...isn't she a doll?
L and his aunt
We also were able to stop in to say hello some of our old Navy friends. Both of which were some of our closest friends when we lived in SD and they still are.
J's old buddy from the USS McClusky
One of my favorite people :)
We left the following Wednesday and headed over to Blythe, CA (my hometown). We were able to stay with my Aunt and her family which was awesome. She has 5 big tortoises that my kids wanted to feed every 10 minutes. Not kidding, they asked constantly. It was a blast for them. Thursday was spent playing at the park and visiting my favorite cousin and her new baby boy. He is so stinkin' adorable.
My cousin and I
That night we had a bonfire with family and played some fabulous games. I must buy Catch Phrase ASAP because it's seriously the best game. We laughed so hard! I met some fabulous friends and family friends for lunch on Friday at my favorite Mexican restaurant and spent some time with my dad, stepmom and little brother that night. Saturday was spent visiting with my dad and preparing for the big shindig that night.
My brother entertaining the kids
My grandparents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary and the party was a huge success. At least 150 friends and family members attended! It's pretty amazing to celebrate that many years of marriage these days and they are such an inspiration.
My aunt and I
All the grandkids (minus my little brother) with the guests of honor
Me and the hubster
Sunday was spent celebrating my great grandpa's 90th and my grandma's 80th birthdays. Tons of family stuck around for the birthday party allowing for more visiting time.
Papa and Nana with their great grandkids
Dad and his girls
blowing out their candles :)
I'm sure you recognize these two! My sister, Kara and cousin Casey.
Sunday afternoon after the party we said our goodbyes and hit the road to head back to Oregon. It was bittersweet because of course I didn't want to leave but was so ready to get home. We drove about 6 hours that night, slept in a hotel (a dumpy one at that), and drove 11 hours on Monday. I went back to work Tuesday and it's been a crazy busy week since!

I'm going to try to post a few things over the next week but the movers come to pack us up next Wednesday and we are officially moving in one week so it's pretty chaotic around here. If you don't hear from me, that's why!

Til next time folks!


3 comments:

Bethany said...

This looks like such a great time! I sure miss the socal sunshine! And your new niece is absolutely precious!!!

gammayaya said...

Very nice recap.. so glad you did not miss it!

gammayaya said...

Very nice recap.. so glad you did not miss it!