Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day & Recipe Round-up

I hope everyone is having a safe weekend and enjoying their extra day off work. I also hope that everyone is taking time today to remember why we celebrate Memorial Day. Today is a day to remember those that have served in the Armed Services, past and present. And most importantly to remember those that didn't make it home. Those that sacrificed their lives for our country. Let us always remember them and honor them and respect today for what it is meant for.

Source: bbc.co.uk via rayna on Pinterest

To my husband, brother, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and many friends and family members that have served or are currently serving our country, thank you for service. Today and always.

I also wanted to share a fabulous recipe today that I tried out this weekend. Time for Recipe Round-up! I know I haven't posted any recipes lately and mostly it's because every time I start dinner I forget to break out my camera and then I get lazy and just don't post about it. Terrible, I know. But it's the truth.

Saturday evening I really wanted to eat out. But something made me decide not to and just cook up some ground turkey that was sitting in my fridge. So thankfully I did because I had been wanting to try out this recipe for weeks. It's probably one of my favorite meatball dishes now. Hands down in my top 2!

Asian Turkey Meatballs with Lime Sesame Sauce


Here's what you'll need. Don't pay attention to the Teriyaki glaze. I took it out on accident and had to swap it for Sesame Oil. Silly me.

For the Meatballs:
- 1/4 cup panko crumbs or breadcrums
- 1 1/4 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil

For the Dipping Sauce:
- 4 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp chopped scallions

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

Mix ground turkey, panko (or breadcrumbs), egg, salt, scallions, cilantro, 1 tbsp soy sauce, and 2 tsp sesame oil and mix with your hands until well combined. Shape 1/4 cup meat mixture into a ball and transfer to baking dish. Repeat with remaining mixture. Makes about 12 meatballs.

Bake until cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.

For the dipping sauce, mix together lime juice, water, soy sauce, and remaining 2 tsp of sesame oil in a bowl. and scallions.

Transfer meatballs to a serving dish. Stir sauce then drizzle meatballs with 1 tbsp sauce. Serve meatballs with remaining sauce, about 1 tbsp per person for dipping.

That's it! Easy peasy and so delicious! I will be making this often. I served it with some teriyaki style rice which was perfect.

Happy Monday and Happy Memorial Day! Have a fabulous week! We're off to a BBQ at my mom's :)



No comments: