Friday, March 16, 2012

THE Question...

I know it's a little late to say but I can't go without saying TGIF! I have been in hiding for a few days.....talk about a busy week! Work has been craziness all week from the moment I arrive at the office and I struggle to get out of that place on time. Getting up at 5am doesn't help and trying to fit in a workout before dinner is such a chore most days. I pretty much feel like this.....all the time.


Yep, I am so exhausted I could easily pass out in this position right this second. No joke.

On a completely different note, today was the day I have been dreading for a very long time. I was asked THE question. If you're a parent then you know what THE question is. Yep, that one that you try to prepare yourself for well in advance but that never actually happens. Then, here we are a few years later and my 5 year old daughter tells me that a friend at school explained to her that she was born from her mommy's "hooha", "va-jay-jay", "girly parts", or whatever you prefer to call it, while she is simultaneously pointing to the location her friend is referring to. Oh boy!!! So not prepared for this. Not one bit. I stood there staring at her with my mouth hanging open and had no clue what to say. At first I started to laugh then quickly stopped myself realizing that was not the proper response and she shouldn't think it's funny. But, what the heck was I supposed to say to her? My lack of preparedness left me wanting to just tell her "yes honey, that's exactly what happened, you came shooting out of my hooha".....but of course I knew this would take some thought and I couldn't just run my mouth. Kids copy everything you say and they don't have a filter. Next thing I know she will be telling everyone at school what her mommy told her and I would be deemed that parent. Wonderful, I definitely don't want to be that parent

My question is, how in the world do I go about explaining this to a 5 year old that just think it's hilarious? Trust me, she was laughing hysterically while telling me about her discovery. We have had the basic talk about babies growing inside the mommy's tummy and when it's time for the baby to be born the doctor takes it out for her, but we haven't had this talk yet and I honestly didn't expect it so early. HELP! Someone, anyone, please help me. Advice would be beyond appreciated. I got away with distraction tonight and then she headed to bed, but I know this isn't the end of this conversation because my child's memory is insane. Only time will tell when this will be brought up again and this mommy must be armed and ready......my luck she will be asking me first thing tomorrow morning while eating her Lucky Charms! Crap. 

How would you respond in this situation?

XOXO,
Ashley


4 comments:

Kara said...

Well. I think a stork, he umm, he drops it down and then, a hole goes in your body and there's blood everywhere, coming out of your head and then you push your belly button and then your butt falls off and then you hold your butt and you have to dig and you find the little baby.

THAT is exactly how you should explain it. 10 points if you know what movie it's from!

No but really, I have no idea. I'm sorry for being no help.

gammayaya said...

Ha ha ha ha Kara.. You are to funny! Ash really, Just explain in a simple 5 year old way but be honest. I never wanted to be that parent that didn't explain it right because kids will catch you off guard and say, "no" that's not right... so be honest but short in your explainations. Keep on your toes, more to come so think about what you are going to say all the time.

Ashley V. said...

Bahaha! Kara, that was seriously hilarious and I can't remember the movie for the life of me...please remind me! I must know. And yes Mom, I think you're right. I am just going to have to go with the flow and hope I explain it correctly without explaining too much :/

Ashley V. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.