Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Recipe Round-Up: Chicken Shiitake & Wild Rice Soup

Happy Hump Day! 

I had every intention of posting this earlier today, along with a PYHO link-up and then the day got the best of me....like it tends to do on a pretty regular basis these days. *Sigh*  Now I'm sitting on my couch watching the most recent episode of SMASH (thank you DVR) and all I want to do is turn off this laptop of mine and go to bed early. Another thing I have been wanting to do a lot of lately. But, I couldn't hit the hay without sharing this amazing recipe! I had my mom and stepdad over for dinner last weekend and this was a new dish I had been dying to try. I love Chicken and Wild Rice Soup so much and had never tried this on my own. Of course, it's another recipe from SkinnyTaste because Gina's recipes are too die for and they're healthy versions of my favorite things :) Can't beat that!

Unfortunately, as I started getting everything out, I realized my camera battery was none other than....yep, that's right, D.E.A.D. Sucks, I know. I wasn't able to get any pics for this recipe but couldn't let it stop me from sharing. Too fabulous to not share!

Here's what you'll need:
1 tbsp butter
1 small onion
1 tbsp flour
8 cups fat free low sodium chicken broth
1 cup water
2 chopped carrots
3 garlic cloves
2 celery stalks
4 skinless chicken thighs (I used chicken breasts)
4.5 oz long grain rice and wild rice combo (I used Rice-a-Roni)
1/2 cup long grain white rice
4 oz. shiitake mushrooms (I used cremini - couldn't find shiitake)
2 tbsp fat free sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a large pot on medium heat, add onion and saute until soft but not browned, about 3-4 minutes. Add flour and saute another minute.

Add chicken broth, water, carrots, garlic, celery, and chicken. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add wild rice mix along with it's seasoning, long grain rice, mushrooms, salt and pepper to taste and simmer on low, covered 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove chicken from pot and shred with two forks, return to pot, add sour cream and more water if too thick. Adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Servings - 6 (1 1/2 cups per serving)
Points - 6
Calories - 237
Fat - 4.3g
Protein - 14g
Carbs - 35g
Fiber - 1.7g

Even though I didn't get a photo of the finished product, here is one from Gina's site so you can see what this yumminess looks like :)

Enjoy!

XOXO,
Ashley

No comments: