Thursday, March 8, 2012

Recipe Round-Up: Baked Chicken Parmesan

A few nights ago I tried a new recipe that I fell in love with! Thank you Kara for recommending this fabulous dish. I believe she grabbed it from SkinnyTaste, which is a new fave site of mine. Everything I've tried so far has been amazing and healthy. J, M and L all loved it as much as I did. It's not so easy to please small children unless you make mac & cheese, PB & J or chicken nuggets :) But, they really enjoyed this recipe which means it's a keeper in our house. And it's super easy to whip up and doesn't take too much time which is always a plus when you have a family and your kids are begging for dinner right NOW! I am usually home around 5pm and my kids are not happy if we are eating after 6pm so it's usually a mad dash to hurry and get dinner on the table.

I try hard to eat healthy as much as possible. I don't go on crazy diets or anything, but my husband and I do watch our calorie intake and exercise on a fairly regular basis. Of course there are days we fall off the wagon and have to find our way back, but we generally do pretty well with our eating habits. This recipe is a lighter version when compared to most Chicken Parm recipes. It's baked, everything is light and lower in fat and calories. If you serve it with a small salad and veggies, you can't go wrong! 

Baked Chicken Parmesan

Here's what you'll need. Pretty minimal if you ask me.
Ingredients:
  • 4 (8 oz.) chicken breast halves, sliced in half (I actually used breast tenderloins since they're smaller and I didn't end up needing to cut them in half)
  • 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs 
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, reduced fat
  • 1 cup marinara sauce
  • cooking spray
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet lightly with cooking spray.

Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a bowl. Melt butter in another bowl. Lightly brush butter onto the chicken, then dip into breadcrumb mixture. Place on backing sheet and repeat with the remaining chicken.

Lightly spray a little more cooking spray on top and bake for about 20 minutes. Turn chicken over, back another 5 minutes. Remove from oven, spoon sauce over chicken and top with mozzarella. Bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.

Serving Size - 1 piece
Weight Watchers Points - 6
Calories - 225
Fat - 8.6g
Protein - 25g
Carbs - 14.2g
Fiber - 1.3g

Here is what my finished plate looked like, served with a salad and baked asparagus. Delish!!!

 Enjoy my friends! I sure did.

XOXO,
Ashley

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Three of my favorite things all on one dish, yum!

Kara said...

Glad you loved it as much as I did :D